Sunday, February 16, 2014

DIY Stretch 3 Layer Bracelet Tutorial

      I discovered Joann's store pretty recently, when my co-worker mentioned that they offered 15% teachers discount on your total purchase. I checked it out. And, I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. Their bead selection wasn't a top notch one, but they had unique bead strands and 30% off sale on all of their beads ( big plus in my book ). They also offered a variety of discounted jewelry organizers and tons of supplies for creating wire wrapped jewelry ( one of my latest obsessions ). What I really liked is that they had awesome buttons. Vintage metal ones and plastic ones and whatever you wanted ( which I am crazy about for my leather wrap bracelets ). I bought a bunch of stuff for a very reasonable price and, like a kid in a candy store, got to work when I got home. Recently I was browsing their website and stumbled upon "Craft Ideas" section. They had 800 results from DIY jewelry projects. I browsed through them and found one that I wanted to try to make at home.

The project was called "Denim Blue Stretch Bracelet"  and it looked like this:


The directions said the following:

SUPPLIES & TOOLS:

  • Cousin®:
    Dark Blue Bead Mix (3 pk)
    8mm Matte Blue Beads (1 pk)
    8mm Blue Pearls (1 pk)
    Silver/Crystal 3-Strand Spacer (1 pk)
  • .8mm clear stretch cord (48')
  • Wire cutters
DIRECTIONS:
1. Cut (3) 12' lengths of stretch cord.
2. Thread the following pattern onto each cord: (8) dark blue beads, through the hole of a 3-strand spacer, (8) matte blue beads, through the hole of a 3-strand spacer, (8) blue pearls and through the hole of a 3-strand spacer.
3. Tie each cord in a double knot and trim the excess. The knots should be hidden against the 3-strand spacer.
4. Cut a 12' length of stretch cord.
5. Thread on (6) blue pearls, (6) matte blue beads, (6) dark blue beads and (6) matte blue beads.
6. Tie the cord into a double knot and trim the excess.
_________________________________________________________________________________
After reading the directions, I wanted wasn't too convinced I wanted to use the same exact colors as pictures, so I have decided to make the exact same bracelet, but use different colors. 
Here are the steps:


Step 1: I used stretch magic, pearls, Swarovski Elements 3 hole divider and scissors.

Step 2: Cut 3 12 inch stretch magic cords.

Step 3: Add your first row of beads ( pictured 9 beads ) but I actually ended up using 10. 

Step 4: After you added first 10 beads, add the divider. 

Step 5: Follow steps 3 and 4 until you have 30 beads and 3 dividers.

Step 6: Tie the stretch magic on double sailor's knot. ** See Below **



Step 7: Cut the remaining of the stretch magic off. 

Step 8: Add the second row of beads in a similar manner as steps 3, 4, 5

Step 9: Tie the ends of the strench magic together. ( Refer to the picture )

Step 10: Cut the remaining stretch magic off. 

Step 11: Add final, third row in a similar manner as the previous two. 

Step 12: Your bracelet is ready to wear !



This design was very easy to make and required very minimal effort and supplies. This is definitely a beginner bracelet, but despite its simplicity, it looks classic and well put together. It took me 23 minutes to put together and here is the final outcome:




Check back soon for more tutorials and beading articles !