Wednesday, February 26, 2014

DIY Beaded Necklace Tutorial

Two years ago my mom went to Russia and brought me back this beaded necklace made from soft pink beads and long, shell-shaped 2 hole beads. The necklace looked like this…





I never wore this necklace before until recently. I was never into "bulky" jewelry and the necklace was a bit big. But, I guess all thing change with age. haha. I wore the necklace a couple times in the last month and I realized that I actually really liked it. Problem is, I could never claim it as "my own" ( aka made by me ). So, as a result I decided to make a similar necklace using different beads, but in a similar manner. Here is another tutorial of DIY beaded necklace. 

PS. This is a VERY beginner necklace and I am sure anyone could make this without any problems.

_________________________________________________________________________

What you will need:
- Seed beads
- Large, oval shape beads
- Beading thread
- Closing hooks
- Bead needles
- Scissors


Step 1: Gather your materials. I used brown seed beads, gold square beads and  and tigers eye longer beads. 

Step 2: Take your thread and cut 1 piece of 20 - 30 inches long. The length of thread will vary depending on how long you want you necklace to be. Usually you can measure the length by using your own neck, but you want to make sure you have AT LEAST 6 extra inches of thread on each side for closing the project. 
Put a stopper bead at the beginning of your project ( allow at leas 6 inches of free wire on another end.

Step 3: Place seed beads on your thread. Depending on the length of your necklace will determine the amount of seed bead you will needs. I used 100 seed beads on my project. 

Step 4: Place one longer bead and 3 square beads in between each longer bead. 



Step 5: Continue this patterns until you have reached the desired number of beads. 
Then, add the same amount of seed beads to the other end of the project. Put a stopper bead at the end. 

Step 6: Take your closing clamp and put it on your project. 

Step 7: Loop your need and thread 3 times around the clamp to create a secure closure. 

Step 8: Loop your needle back through the stopper bead and tie 3 knots around the bead to secure the connection. I also like to use glue or cement to secure the thread even more. 


Step 9: Cut the remaining thread. 

Step 10: Add your charm ( if you have any ) and your adjustable closure hooks to your project in a similar way as Step 7 and 8. 

Step 11: Cut the remaining of the thread. 

Step 12: Whoala! You are finished !



This design is super easy to make, and it took me a little over 30 minutes to complete. It is simple, yet a perfect accessory to add to any outfit. 


Please check back Friday for another post about beading!